Warehousing and distribution network design
Unipart has undertaken many network studies for a wide range of clients, each with specific supply chain characteristics. Each study is unique, but a systematic approach to the analysis helps to ensure a robust and effective approach to the modelling. It is imperative for companies to understand what infrastructure they need to service their customers. Our network studies enable objective measurement of any proposed network, ensuring the resulting supply chain infrastructure is fit for purpose, cost effective and flexible.
The types of specific questions that can be addressed in the course of a network study include:
- Are the current warehouses and stock holding locations in the right place to satisfy demand?
- Will the current infrastructure cope with expected changes in volume/range?
- What is the best service level to customers (in terms of time from order placed to product received) that can be achieved within a given cost constraint?
- What is the ‘optimal’ number of warehouses to minimise operational, inventory and transport costs?
- Is there a business case for making infrastructure changes?
By working with those who are close to our customer’s supply chain operations and gaining an understanding of the complexities of their supply chain models, we can build bespoke scenarios to closely reflect the customer’s business.